The Ruffin Gallery at the University of Virginia is seeking proposals for solo exhibitions from recent MFA graduates and emerging artists. Proposals should be conceptually and aesthetically rigorous. We are particularly interested in work that holds the potential to provoke thoughtful conversations about the times we are living in. The exhibiting artist will receive a $500 honoraria and the gallery will provide a maximum budget of $1500 to cover transportation and artwork shipping costs.
May 17: Application review begins
June 15: Decision announced
August 23: Earliest possible show opening
All applications should be sent to Liza Pittard at email@example.com in a zipped folder. Please attach the following items clearly labelled:
- Completed application
- Resume / CV
- Artist Statement
- Exhibition Narrative:
- Brief explanation of your exhibition proposal, including the working title (500 word maximum)
- Identify any special equipment and/or temporary space alterations you may need for your proposed exhibition.
- There may be the opportunity to receive funding for programming related to the gallery exhibitions. Please suggest possible programming for both public and student audiences such as lectures, film screenings, gallery talks, workshops, class visits or performances.
Please submit images, audio, or video files of works to be included in the proposed exhibition or examples of similar work. In the case of site-installations, performances, or other proposed uses of the space, please provide documentation of similar work and/or a mock-up.
- Image files: Please use .jpeg format at 72 to 300 dpi.
- Audio & video files: Please provide a web link to file. Excerpts will suffice.
- Naming your files: Please name your files in correspondence with the list of works that you provide, indicating artist name and a conventional numbering system (example: PittardLiza01.jpeg)
- List of Artworks: Please attach a list of proposed artworks for the exhibition, corresponding with name of the submitted file. If submitting a web link for an audio or video file, please provide the link here.